Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Marriage Equality For Homosexuals UCC and UUA Say YES!

Joint Letter of Support for Marriage Equality
United Church of Christ & Unitarian Universalist Association

Ellen Degeneras from her blog post in support of a proposition in California allowing gay marriages



DENVER (March 4, 2014) – 72 Colorado clergy, faith leaders, and members of the United Church of Christ (UCC) and Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) released a joint letter of support for marriage equality for same-sex couples. About 20 faith leaders prayed together and presented their join letter.

Both the UCC and the UUA have been at the forefront in the struggle for justice and equality affirming that the inherent worth and dignity of every person applies equally to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.  Both UUA and UCC congregations and clergy have long recognized and celebrated same-sex marriages within their faith traditions.  For more than 30 years, both faith communities have worked for equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) persons, consistently calling for an end to discrimination, equal protection under the law, deploring LGBTQ hate crimes and violence, supporting LGBTQ relationships and families, celebrating the gifts of LGBTQ persons for ministry and encouraging all settings of the church to be open and affirming of LGBT persons, welcoming them and encouraging their participation in every aspect of the mission and ministry of the church.

Across the nation and here in Colorado, the movement to grant full marriage equality to same-sex couples is rapidly growing.  As the debate surrounding marriage equality for all continues, those speaking on behalf of their religious beliefs have been among some of the most vocal opponents to same-sex marriage.  Those signing the letter believe it is important for the public to know that there is an equally committed group of religious leaders and faith communities firmly in support of marriage equality for all people.

To that end, clergy and members of UCC and UUA congregations across Colorado "affirm that the conventional values that are essential to the Gospel are central to how we understand marriage in this time.  We also recognize and affirm that all humans are made in the image and likeness of God and blessed by the Spirit of Love, including people of all sexual orientations.  We further believe that human sexuality is a sacred gift bestowed upon all people equally.  As such, we recognize and affirm full equality in marriage and that all people have the right to lead lives that express love, justice, mutuality, commitment, consent, and pleasure."

Interfaith Organizing Director



American Friends Service Committee
901 W. 14th Ave. #7,
Denver, Colorado 80204

Story from press release 


March Forth



Ellen DeGeneres has a unique take on it.  She wrote a letter to the Supreme court and asked people to tweet it.  The response was very strong, to say the least.  Here is the letter she wrote:

California's Proposition 8 is headed to the Supreme Court. Hundreds of companies and families as well as Republicans are submitting briefs urging the 9 judges to allow gay people to marry. I thought that was ridiculous. Why would judges want all of that underwear? Then, after a quick talk with some people, I found out what a brief was.
I've never filed a brief to the Supreme Court, so I thought I would post mine here. I'm sure someone will tweet it to them.
Portia and I have been married for 4 years and they have been the happiest of my life. And in those 4 years, I don't think we hurt anyone else's marriage. I asked all of my neighbors and they say they're fine.
But even though Portia and I got married in the short period of time when it was legal in California, there are 1,138 federal rights for married couples that we don't have, including some that protect married people from losing their homes, or their savings or custody of their children.
The truth is, Portia and I aren't as different from you as you might think. We're just trying to find happiness in the bodies and minds we were given, like everyone else.
Coming out was one of the hardest things I ever did. I didn't intend to be on the cover of Time magazine saying, "Yep, I'm gay." The truth is, I don't even remember saying that. I mean, I definitely said the "I'm gay" part. It's the "yep" I don't remember. I'm not really a "yep" person. "Yes siree Bob" maybe. But not "yep."
In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "We're here, we're queer, get over it." And there's another famous quote that says "A society is judged by how it treats its weakest members." I couldn't agree with that more. No one's really sure who said it first, so if anyone asks, tell them I said it.
I hope the Supreme Court will do the right thing, and let everyone enjoy the same rights. It's going to help keep families together. It's going to make kids feel better about who they are. And it is time.
*I was just told Benjamin Franklin did not say that first quote. I apologize and see that I have a lot to learn about stuff.

Above letter from Ellen DeGeneres

Many people oppose same sex marriage because they feel it reduces the sanctity of heterosexual relationships and violates religious principles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Join our community and share your voice! No spam, please, it will be deleated, your time is spent better making a positive contribution! But sure, we need to hear from you!