Sunday, August 17, 2014

Ferguson Teen Shot Six Times, Twice In Head

An autopsy performed by renown pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, former New York City Chief Medical Examiner, shows Michael Brown was shot six times.  Two of those shots were made to the 18 year old's head, including one which appears to have entered the top of his head while his head was bowed, and was likely the last, and fatal shot, suffered by the youth.

The autopsy results, one of at least three to be performed, was completed at the request of the family.  Prior requests for county autopsy results from press, family and community leaders, has fallen on deaf ears.  A third autopsy will be made by federal officials under a federal investigation for a potential civil rights violation.

The youth who had recently graduated from high school and was destined for college, was spotted by a Ferguson police officer.  Brown and his friend Dorian Johnson, were jaywalking when the officer told them to "get the fuck out of the street".  From there, the accounts differ as to what occurred.  

Ferguson police chief Jon Belmar claims Brown struggled with police officer Darren Wilson.  According to the youth's friend, Wilson grabbed Brown by the neck through his patrol car door, after backing his patrol car up to where the youths were walking.  After hitting Brown with an open car door, the officer was heard to say "I am going to shoot you!"

A neighbor, Tiffany Mitchell, claimed the boys were running away when Brown was shot.  However, the independent autopsy shows Brown was shot from the front, not the back.

Dr. Baden said “In my capacity as the forensic examiner for the New York State Police, I would say, ‘You’re not supposed to shoot so many times.'"  The pathologist who examined the body of Dr. Martin Luther King, retired from the New York State Police in 2011. “Right now there is too little information to forensically reconstruct the shooting," the doctor said.  He did not have access to witness statements when he revealed the results of his examination.

Police used tear gas indiscriminately nearly at the moment the first press reports were released about the autopsy, Sunday evening, firing into the crowd.  At least one child was doused in tear gas and a female had here windshield shattered by exploding shells.  

Prior to setting off the teargas, an alert was put out calling for "every available vehicle" to be sent to the area. A swat unit used armored personnel carriers to advance upon a stunned crowd.  The crowd dispersed ahead of the imposed midnight curfew.  Prior to that, members of the press were arrested, but later released.

CNN reported gunshots fired at the police but then retracted, saying only gunshots were fired.

Information for this article was obtained from the New York Times.

1 comment:

What do you think? Join our community and share your voice! No spam, please, it will be deleated, your time is spent better making a positive contribution! But sure, we need to hear from you!